Peter (or Per) Håkansson was born on April 29, 1869 in Andrarum, Sweden. His parents were Håkan Olsson and Hanna Svensdotter.
Peter immigrated to the United States in 1888 as a young man with his two brothers, Ola and Andrew. He changed his name to Peter Nyberg on arrival, though both his brothers chose the surname Schmidt. Their parents did not immigrate.
On September 1, 1894, Peter and his hired man survived the Great Hinckley Fire by lying in the creek and covering themselves with a water-soaked blanket.
Ellen Christina Lundberg was born on February 2, 1872 in Sweden. Her parents were Karl Ludvig Lundberg and Anna Christina Stromberg.
Ellen and her parents immigrated the US in 1892.
Peter and Ellen were married January 25, 1895. They had six children: Ruth, Oscar, Florence, William, Lloyd, and Lillian. All of their children were born in Minnesota.
When Peter was about 70 years old, he surprised his family by buying an 80-acre farm with a herd of Holstein cattle. He sold this after a few years.
Peter died on September 23, 1948 in Minnesota. Ellen died on June 12, 1951 in Minneapolis. They are buried in Hillside Cemetery in Minneapolis.
Parents & Ancestry Edit
|Hakan Olsson||▬||Hanna Svensdotter||Karl Ludvig Lundberg||▬||Anna Christina Stromberg|
|Peter Nyberg||▬||Ellen Lundberg|
- Born on December 14, 1822
- Died January 17, 1887
Hanna Svensdotter (or Svensson)
- Born on September 2, 1825
- Died on October 8, 1899
Håkan and Hanna
- Married May 5, 1855
Ruth Mary Nyberg Edit
- Born February 28, 1896 in Hinckley, MN
- Married March 3, 1957, age 61
- Died July 25, 1970 in Palmetto, FL
- Spouse: Harry Milton Zimmers
- Born on April 17, 1886 in Denver, CO
- Died on March 26, 1971
- Harry's first wife Nettie Myers died in 1956
- Buried in Palmetto Cemetery, along with Nettie
Oscar Leroy Nyberg Edit
- Born on October 14, 1897
- Died on November 29, 1993
- Married Wilma Frieda Winblad
- Born on June 29, 1903
- Died on December 13, 1985
- Parents: Wilhelm Winblad & Rena Koksma
- Had 8 children: 6 girls and 2 boys
- Buried in Rosehill Cemetery in Hinckley, MN
Florence Christina Nyberg Edit
- Born on August 6, 1899 in Hinckley, MN
- Died on October 15, 1979 in Minneapolis, MN
- Maybe her:
- Social Security Death Index (if this is her, she apparently never married)
William McKinley "Mac" Nyberg Edit
- Born on October 11, 1901 in Hinckley, MN
- Died on July 21, 1982 in Minneapolis, MN
- Apparently he was named after President William McKinley, who was assassinated on September 14, 1901, about a month before Mac was born
- Through his life he had one crippled arm, due to contracting polio as a child
- Married Gladys Evangeline Dahl on September 3, 1943 in Hennepin County, MN
- Born on February 21, 1908 in Dassal, MN
- Died on January 9, 1991 in Minneapolis, MN
- Had at least one child:
- Dale Warren Nyberg, born June 16, 1945
- Buried in Sunset Memorial Park in Minneapolis, MN
Lloyd Elmer Nyberg Edit
- Born on December 17, 1904 in Hinckley, MN
- Died on May 29, 1965 in AL
- Married Florence Gillman
- Born in 1909 in Detroit, MI
- Died on June 7, 1965
- Had at least two children
- Buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery in LA
- Maybe him:
- Social Security Death Index (wrong birthday)
Lillian Hannah Nyberg [Lundquist] Edit
- Born March 23, 1908
- Died September 11, 2011 at Lakeside Nursing Home in Pine City, MN - age 103
- Spouse: Kjell Lundquist
- Born on August 25, 1909 in Soderham, Sweden
- Died on December 6, 2009 at Lakeside Nursing Home in Pine City, MN - age 100
- Parents were Karl and Jenny Lundquist
- Child: Willard Gary Lundquist
- Had at least 2 more children
|April 29||1869||Peter is born in Sweden|
|February 2||1872||Ellen is born in Sweden|
|January 17||1887||Peter's father Hakan Olsson dies|
|1888||Peter immigrates to the US|
|1892||Ellen immigrates to the US with her parents|
|September 1||1894||Great Hinckley Fire|
|January 12 or 25||1895||Peter and Ellen are married in Wisconsin|
|February||1896||daughter Ruth is born|
|October 14||1897||son Oscar is born|
|August||1899||daughter Florence is born|
|September||1901||President William McKinley is assassinated|
|October 11||1901||son William "Mac" is born
|December 17||1904||son Lloyd is born|
|March 23||1908||daughter Lillian is born|
|September 23||1948||Peter dies|
|June 12||1951||Ellen dies|
Documents & Articles Edit
Sweden Baptisms Edit
- Per is a Swedish form of Peter. Here as a baby Peter is listed under his father's surname Olsson, instead of his own Håkansson.
|Birth Date||April 29, 1864|
|Birthplace||Andrarum, Kristianstad, Sweden|
|Father's Name||Håkan Olsson|
|Mother's Name||Hanna Svensdotter|
Wisconsin Marriages Edit
|Name||Per H. Nyberg|
|Date||January 12, 1895|
|Place||West Superior, Douglas County, Wisconsin, USA|
|Father's Name||Hakan Olson|
|Mother's Name||Hanna Olson|
|Spouse's Name||Ellen Christina Lundberg|
|Spouse's Father's Name||Karl Lundberg|
|Spouse's Mother's Name||Christina Lundberg|
|Note||Birth Place: res - Mission Creek, Minn.; Pr Name: farmer;|
1895 Minnesota State Census Edit
1900 US Federal Census Edit
1905 Minnesota State Census Edit
1910 US Federal Census Edit
1920 US Federal Census Edit
US Federal Census Edit
Most of the 1890 Census was lost in a fire, probably including this/these record(s).
Peter and Ellen are living with their three children:
Ruth (4), Oscar (3), and Florence (1).
Peter and Ellen have been married 5 years.
Ellen reported that all of the children she has had are still living.
Peter and Ellen have six children, ages 2 through 14.
They live in Pokegama, Pine County, MN.
Ellen is the head of the household, and all six children are living with her.
Peter is not present for an unknown reason.
|1930||Peter and Ellen live alone.|
|1940||Not yet found.|
Minnesota State Census Edit
|1895||Peter and Ellen are married but have no children yet.|
|1905||Most of the image available at FamilySearch is not legible due to bad lighting and the records are not connected as a family. The names are visible. Peter and Ellen live in Mission Creek with their 5 children and Peter is a farmer.|
Obituary - Lillian Hannah Lundquist Edit
Lillian Lundquist, age 103, of Pine City and formerly of Hinckley and south Minneapolis died at Lakeside Nursing Home in Pine City on September 11, 2011.
She is survived by sons Dennis (Kathy) Lundquist of Monticello and Landis (Kathi) Lundquist of Woodbury; grandchildren: Andrew (Jen) Lundquist, Rachel (Matt) Ridenour, Benjamin Lundquist, Elizabeth (J.P.) McIntosh, Angela (Brian) Bomgren, Daniel (Netta) Lundquist, and Emilie Lundquist; seven great grandchildren; other relatives and many friends.
Lillian was preceded in death by husband Kjell Lundquist; son Gary Lundquist, her parents Peter and Ellen Nyberg, sisters Ruth and Florence; brothers Oscar, McKinley, and Lloyd.
The funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, September 15, 2011, at the First Covenant Church in Minneapolis with the Reverend Dan Thompson officiating. Music will be provided by Doug and Jack Vigoren. Casket bearers are Andrew Lundquist, Benjamin Lundquist, Daniel Lundquist, J.P. McIntosh, Brian Bomgren, and Matt Ridenour. A visitation will be held at 10:30 a.m. preceding the funeral at the church. Interment is at Pleasant View Memorial Gardens in Burnsville, Minnesota.
Funeral arrangements are with the Funeral and Cremation Service - Swanson Funeral Chapel of Pine City, Minnesota 320-629-3120 http://www.funeralandcremationservice.com/